What to do when something happened to my property or items there?

  • Updated

Rendin experts recommend that landlords visit the rental home a month (or a week, at the latest) before the end of the agreement to inspect the place with the tenant and, if necessary, address any shortcomings. In this case, the tenant will have time to fix the issues. If, on returning the rental home, the landlord discovers any outstanding deficiencies for which the tenant is legally responsible, we ask the landlord to proceed as follows:

  1. The rental home needs to be overviewed at the time of return, and the Handover Act must be completed in the Rendin app. If, for any reason, the landlord can't do it, please send an e-mail to both the tenant and the Rendin customer support team with a brief description/summary of the property after the inspection and relevant photos.
  2. In the event of any defects, it is the landlord's role to assess the extent of the damage, taking into account the aspect of natural wear and tear. If necessary, the landlord should involve an expert in the field to help determine the damage claim amount. If the value of the damage can't be evaluated: the landlord has to ask for a quotation for repairs or look for similar items/necessary building materials within a reasonable price range.
  3. Once the final amount of the damage is precise, the landlord must submit the claim directly to the tenant and set an additional deadline for payment (at least 14 days).
  4. Suppose, despite the additional deadline, the tenant fails to pay the debt. In that case, Rendin initiates a claim: the landlord will be reimbursed, and recourse proceedings will be opened against the tenant. Rendin determines the compensation based on the evidence provided by the landlord. The following evidence is considered: pictures taken for the handover act at the return of the rental home, quotations for repairs, invoices and other documents.

Note 1: If the landlord discovers damage in the property after the agreement has ended and Handover Act completed, and it's the tenant's fault and couldn't have been detected by a regular inspection, and for which the landlord wishes to claim compensation, then they must inform the tenant as soon as possible. Failure to do so will deprive the landlord of one's rights under the defect.

Note 2: If damage to your rental property has the hallmarks of an accident, you should contact your home insurance provider in the first instance.